[open-bibliography] Library support and REST

Karen Coyle kcoyle at kcoyle.net
Tue Oct 26 13:26:28 UTC 2010

Quoting Peter Murray-Rust <pm286 at cam.ac.uk>:

> The only reason I mentioned OL was that we in OKF cannot take data from OL
> and pronounce it OKD-Open.

What this means is that your definition of OKD-Open requires you to
only take in data directly from the rights owner. In a data cloud
environment, I'm not sure that this is sustainable. Provenance is
going to break down very quickly, especially when we deal in
"statements" rather than "records". This is, of course, why there is a
W3C group looking at provenance.

I don't know how we solve this dilemma, but to me this puts OKD-Open
in a "pre-cloud" position -- which is not a bad thing. Essentially a
set of self-declared open data that people can select from. In the
strict definition of that, very little of the data in OL comes from
such a pre-cloud repository with rights attached, and therefore rights
are mostly undeclared.  It's more of a "free the data" approach, as
opposed to "this data is free/open."

kc

--
Karen Coyle