[open-bibliography] OAIPMH and the right to copy (from "Library support and REST")

Karen Coyle kcoyle at kcoyle.net
Tue Oct 26 13:36:16 UTC 2010

Quoting Christopher Gutteridge <cjg at ecs.soton.ac.uk>:

> Is there any chance of having bibligraphic metadata being explicitly
> legally declared as always fair use? If you do that the problem goes
> away...

In the US that can only be the result of a court case -- a long,
expensive court case. That's because of the particular mechanism of
the US "fair use" provision. For countries with "fair dealing" and
other more explicit declarations, I presume it is a legislative
matter. It would be great if something could happen at an EU level,
but I can't imagine the effort that would take.

kc