[open-bibliography] Call for Use Cases: Library Linked Data

Thomas Krichel krichel at openlib.org
Tue Sep 7 21:21:27 UTC 2010

  Here comes my survey response re AuthorClaim.

> Call for Use Cases: Library Linked Data
>
> Are you currently using linked data technology [1] for library-related
> data, or considering doing it in the near future? If so, please tell us
> more by filling in the questionnaire below and sending it back to us or
> to public-lld at w3.org, preferably before October 15th, 2010.
>
> The information you provide will be influential in guiding the
> activities the Library Linked Data Incubator Group will undertake to
> help increase global interoperability of library data on the Web. The
> information you provide will be curated and published on the group
> wikispace at [3].
>
> We understand that your time is precious, so please don't feel you have
> to answer every question. Some sections of the templates are clearly
> marked as optional. However, the more information you can provide, the
> easier it will be for the Incubator Group to understand your case. And,
> of course, please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any trouble
> answering our questions. Editorial guidance on specific points is
> provided at [2], and examples are available at [3].
>
> We are particularly interested in use cases describing the use of
> library linked data for end-user oriented applications. However, we're
> not ruling anything out at this stage, and the Incubator Group will
> carefully consider all submissions we receive.
>
> On behalf of the Incubator Group, thanks in advance for your time,
>
> Emmanuelle Bermes (Emmanuelle.Bermes_bnf.fr),
> Alexander Haffner (A.Haffner_d-nb.de),
> Antoine Isaac (aisaac_few.vu.nl) and
> Jodi Schneider (jodi.schneider_deri.org)
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/LinkedData.html
> [2] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/UCCuration
> [3] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/UseCases

> === Name ===
>
> A short name by which we can refer to the use case in discussions.

  AuthorClaim

  Open Library Society c/o Thomas Krichel, krichel at openlib.org

> === Background and Current Practice ===
>
> Where this use case takes place in a specific domain, and so requires
> some prior information to understand, this section is used to describe
> that domain. As far as possible, please put explanation of the domain in
> here, to keep the scenario as short as possible. If this scenario is
> best illustrated by showing how applying technology could replace
> current existing practice, then this section can be used to describe the
> current practice. Often, the key to why a use case is important
> also lies in what problem would occur if it was not achieved, or what
> problem means it is hard to achieve.
>
> === Goal ===
>
> Two short statements stating (1) what is achieved in the scenario
> without reference to linked data, and (2) how we use linked data
> technology to achieve this goal.

  (1) The application contributes to the identification of authors
  (and editors, and potentially other contributors, but let's stick
  to the term author for simplicity.)

> === Target Audience ===
>
> The main audience of your case. For example scholars, the general
> public, service providers, archivists, computer programs...

  Academic authors, who publish research papers.

> === Use Case Scenario ===
>
> The use case scenario itself, described as a story in which actors
> interact with systems. This section should focus on the user needs in
> this scenario. Do not mention technical aspects and/or the use of linked
> data.

  Registrants contact the service to fill in simple personal data such
  as name and affiliation. They build a set of name variations.  The
  service searches for the name of the person in a database of close
  to 100,000,000 authorships. It proposes registrants that the item is
  theirs or not. The result is a profile of documents that the person
  has authored and not authored. The search is repeated periodically
  to search for new additions to the document dataset.

> === Application of linked data for the given use case ===
>
> This section describes how linked data technology could be used to
> support the use case above. Try to focus on linked data on an abstract
> level, without mentioning concrete applications and/or vocabularies.
> Hint: Nothing library domain specific.

  Linked data could be used to export the profiles, with bibliogrphic
  information as usend in AuthorClaim *as well as* the original
  bibligraphic record.

> === Existing Work (optional) ===
>
> This section is used to refer to existing technologies or approaches
> which achieve the use case (Hint: Specific approaches in the library
> domain). It may especially refer to running prototypes or applications.

  A piece related work in the library domain are name authority
  files. Such files are usually maintained by a third person. In
  AuthorClaim, the author maintains the profile.

> === Related Vocabularies (optional) ===
>
> Here you can list and clarify the use of vocabularies (element sets and
> value vocabularies) which can be helpful and applied within this context.
>
> === Problems and Limitations (optional) ===
>
> This section lists reasons why this scenario is or may be difficult to
> achieve, including pre-requisites which may not be met, technological
> obstacles etc. Please explicitly list here the technical challenges made
> apparent by this use case. This will aid in creating a roadmap to
> overcome those challenges.

  There is no good free source for metadata about academic articles.
  One can compile a dataset from sources, but then there is the issue
  of duplication.

  The main challenge for the system at this time it to build applications
  that will use the profiles.

> === Related Use Cases and Unanticipated Uses (optional) ===
>
> The scenario above describes a particular case of using linked data.
> However, by allowing this scenario to take place, the likely solution
> allows for other use cases. This section captures unanticipated uses of
> the same system apparent in the use case scenario.
>
> === References (optional) ===
>
> This section is used to refer to cited literature and quoted websites.

  http://authorclaim.org is the main site.
  ftp://authorclaim.org has the profiles for download
  http://ariw.org is the contributor of institutional affiliations data.
  http://3lib.org has information about some of the dataset used in AuthorClaim
  http://acis.openlib.org has information about the software used
  http://authors.repec.org has a very similar system using document