[open-bibliography] [pd-discuss] Free BMD and PD Calculators

Javier Ruiz Diaz javier at openrightsgroup.org
Thu Sep 23 21:42:23 UTC 2010

Hi there

Jordan explained that for copyright calculator you need authors to have died over 70 years ago, and the FreeBMD has that information, as their gaps are in the more recent records. It could be very useful.

I am afraid that opening up the reuse of BMD will be part of the campaign we are starting. From the little I know so far the licensing they have to transcribe and publish is a bit ad-hoc.

The General Registrar Office has its own project to digitise BMD indexes, which is on hold pending the spending review, but I haven't found anything about reuse. It seems that these records are outside the PSI re-use regulations.

If you or anyone has any further info on genealogical data I really would appreciate it, as in our Open Data campaign we will be working closely with FreeBMD, so this will be a priority.

They just appointed their first paid staffer as well, so things should get moving around this dataset.

Lets meet soon.

Best, Javi