[open-bibliography] (Final?) discussion of the openbiblio principles

Adrian Pohl adrian.pohl at okfn.org
Sun Jan 9 15:40:26 UTC 2011

Hello,

interesting how the central concepts of the principles  on openbiblio
("bibliographic data", "bibliographic description") don't seem to be
shared even by the persons who worked together to write them. And
interesting how different the principles seem to be read by the
different contributors. (That could mean that the principles aren't
clear enough which I don't necessarily think...)This exciting and
important discussion seems to be necessary. Hopefully we will finally
find some agreement on the language we use...

2011/1/9 Karen Coyle <kcoyle at kcoyle.net>:
> First, we talk about two things: bib DATA and bib COLLECTIONS. We agree that
> bib DATA must be open, and also say that those who output their collections
> need to make it clear what the terms of use are. Thus, we are not treating
> collections as "open" to the same degree as the facts within them.

It seem that you distinguish "bibliographic data" and "bibliographic
collections"in this paragraph and put them on the same categorial
level. It sounds as if you equate "bibliographic data" with
"bibliographic description", aren't you? IMO, the term 'bibliographic
data' as used in the principles is a general term comprising
individual bibliographic descriptions as well as collections of such
descriptions. That is why the principles refer both to individual
bibliographic descriptions and to collections (see principles 1, 3 and
4). And, to be clear, we don't just say "that those who output their
collections need to make it clear what the terms of use are" we also
want them to publish the collections under an open license and
strongly recommend a PD license.[1]

> Second, in the US, a selection of facts (e.g. a topical bibliography, a
> reading list for a university course) MAY be copyrightable as a whole, even
> if the facts themselves are not.

OK but that should have no influence on the principles text. I thought
(as mentioned in my previous mail) that we agreed on the principles
being agnostic about whether and where collections or individual
bibliographic descriptions are subject to intellectual property rights
or not.

> Third, relationships between works will begin to be carried in library data
> due to FRBR and RDA. Citation information is NOT one of those relationships,
> because libraries do not intend to include it, but it would be a logical
> extension if someone else wishes to provide it.

I didn't argue for including citaion information in library records
(although I might as well argue for that). What I mean is, simplified:

library catalogs = printed bibliographies = journal article data bases
= bibliographic reference lists

In the context of the openbiblio principles all these things created
for different purposes and maybe greatly differing in size are nothing
else but COLLECTIONS OF BIBLIOGRAPHIC DESCRIPTIONS. Thus, following
the above, they are all in equal measure refered to by the principles'
text.

Adrian

[1] After the last meeting I thought we were past this point of the
discussion. I first publicly adressed this problem in November, see
point 1. in this mail:
http://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/open-bibliography/2010-November/000585.html.