[open-bibliography] (Final?) discussion of the openbiblio principles

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Sun Jan 9 19:59:40 UTC 2011

It is not surprising that we have slightly different views at this stage
about what bibliographic data are. The same problems will occur in
Scientific (Panton) data. But that should not prevent us going ahead with
the principles.

We are not sure exactly where the line will be drawn but we are reasonably
clear that there is a concept of Bibliographic Data, just as we agreed there
was a concept of Scientific Data. Some of that will be problematic but we
shouldn't work too hard to try to draw lines. We are clear that there is
Core data, secondary data and content. Let's leave it as that at present.

It's possible that some of our anticipated problems will not materialise and
vice versa. Using the general terms will help concentrate discussion and
greater adoption of the Principles.

Let's go with the wording we have got and - if necessary - refine it later
in the light of experience.

P.

--
Peter Murray-Rust