[open-bibliography] WorldCat API and Licensing

Adrian Pohl adrian.pohl at okfn.org
Tue Jan 11 09:11:34 UTC 2011

As Peter says this is an important discussion and I think the OKFN's
Open Knowledge definition[1] takes the right stand by denying NC
licenses the status of openness. Instead of repeating the arguments I
provide a list of three posts on this topic worth reading:

* The "classical" text on this topic by Erik Möller ""The Case for
Free Use: Reasons Not to Use a Creative Commons -NC License":
http://freedomdefined.org/Licenses/NC

* A post by Rufus named "Why Share-Alike Licenses are Open but
Non-Commercial Ones Aren’t":
http://blog.okfn.org/2010/06/24/why-share-alike-licenses-are-open-but-non-commercial-ones-arent/

* The article "CBC decision highlights Creative Commons
drawbacks"shows how CC-NC licenses even cause someone not to use CC
licensed works at all:
http://www.teleread.com/copy-right/cbc-decision-highlights-creative-commons-drawbacks/

Adrian

[1] http://www.opendefinition.org/okd/