[open-bibliography] Endore the OpenBiblio Principles

Jim Pitman pitman at stat.Berkeley.EDU
Tue Jan 18 19:37:29 UTC 2011

Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org> wrote:

> I've added a way for people to sign up / endorse the Principles we've
> just launched:
> <http://openbiblio.net/principles/>
> <http://openbiblio.net/principles/endorse/>
> If you support the principles please head over and sign up. I also was
> wondering whether we should create a supporter web button along the
> lines of:
> <http://assets.okfn.org/images/buttons/panton_principles_80x23_orange_grey.png>
I think it is much more important to get organizational than individual
supporters. I would like to see a list or organizations with logos comparable
to the list http://www.orcid.org/directory
of ORCID organizational supporters. In particular, it would be very desirable
to have contact with each of the ORCID reps of these organizations, let them
know about OpenBiblio principles, and seek their endorsement. ORCID is in
a very formative stage and it is important I think to push for as much open
biblio data as possible to be associated with ORCID.
Many ORCID participants are biblio data owners who will be reluctant to sign
on because it may mean yielding some control or business interest in their data. But others may be willing to support, and it would be politically useful to know who those are. So I suggest an OpenBiblio campaign to contact ORCID participants
and gain their support. I am willing to work on this for organizations I am
familiar with, e.g. Cornell U, MIT, Spires, CERN, Microsoft, ... but I cant do it all. I think we need volunteers to take on these organizations one by one.
Do we have the community coordination resources to do this?
It really helps if the person doing the contacting can say they are working
on behalf of OKFN. So there should be some coordination of such an effort,
and agreement of who is working on what organization.
It is a strategic question whether it is even worth the bother of contacting
large publishers like Springer, Wiley for across the board open biblio
support. I very much doubt it. But it may be possible to get concessions
for specific datasets, like author profiles. I expect that we can get a lot
of the small to medium sized  non-profit publishers to support us.  CUP is a
good candidate among medium sized publishers. I have good cooperation and
contacts there. But Peter may be even better placed for CUP.

--Jim
Jim Pitman
Director, Bibliographic Knowledge Network Project
http://www.bibkn.org/

Professor of Statistics and Mathematics
University of California
367 Evans Hall # 3860