[open-bibliography] [open-science] Proposal - in less than 24 hours, can we come up with an idea for a breakout session at Science Online London

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Jul 21 18:43:02 UTC 2011

[Copied to Open Bibliography - take care not to proliferate replies - but we
need immediate input]

Here's my idea for ScienceOnLine

"Open Science Bibliography - where can I find Open Access papers on ... ?"

Open access and Open Data are severely limited because no-one knows where to
find the objects. The proposal is to create a bibliography of Open resources
based primarily on academic publications. This can be completely mechanised
for the major publishers and is completely legal.

Pubcrawler software (or similar) crawls all the journal TOCS. It then
downloads the page for each article and examines it to see if it contains
(a) an Open Access marker (these are publisher-specific) or (b) one or more
data sets [*]. If either of these conditions hold a bibliographic entry is
created. In this way we end up with an automated bibliography of either Open
papers or papers with Open resources.

Note that we are not downloading the text or the data sets, simply recording
their existence and providing the link to them.

We have done this for several years for crystallographic data (which seems
to be impicitly agreed to be "data-and-therefore-not-copyrightable") and
have downloaded the data sets. In the present proposal we are not even doing
this.

It may be more appropriate simply to do the Open Access first

The attraction of this is that the results can go straight into CKAN
(metadata about open access) and Open Bibliography. Obviously full open
access publishers (BMC, PLoS) are straightforward. Hybrid journals (e.g.
Springer, Wiley, Elsevier, ACS) are the most immediate gain. This will
locate and publicize the Open Access papers, even when hidden in traditional
closed journals.

Even if we don't do this for SOL I'd like to think this was worth
considering

--
Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics