[open-bibliography] [open-science] Proposal - in less than 24 hours, can we come up with an idea for a breakout session at Science Online London

Dr. Micah Altman Micah_Altman at harvard.edu
Fri Jul 22 14:51:12 UTC 2011

> Note that we are not downloading the text or the data sets, simply
> recording their existence and providing the link to them.
>
> We have done this for several years for crystallographic data (which seems
> to be impicitly agreed to be "data-and-therefore-not-copyrightable") and
> have downloaded the data sets. In the present proposal we are not even doing
> this.
>
> It may be more appropriate simply to do the Open Access first
>
> The attraction of this is that the results can go straight into CKAN
> (metadata about open access) and Open Bibliography. Obviously full open
> access publishers (BMC, PLoS) are straightforward. Hybrid journals (e.g.
> Springer, Wiley, Elsevier, ACS) are the most immediate gain. This will
> locate and publicize the Open Access papers, even when hidden in traditional
> closed journals.

It would be interesting to me to also set up a pilot virtual archive of the
harvested open data records in our DataVerse network system. Which would
expose those resources to different communities. If this is all at CKAN I'd
need to be able to wrap the CKAN API in an OAI-PMH proxy.. Not sure how
trivial this is. And feeding the other way -- a number of virtual archives
are expose via OAI-PMH with CC'licenses, the licensing information is on a
LOCKSS manifest page -- so it the license, OAI set etc can be
programatically determined. Any interest in this as a data source?