[open-bibliography] OCLC ODbL?

David Weinberger self at evident.com
Fri Jun 3 12:02:18 UTC 2011

At the LOD-LAM conference, Roy Tennant announced that OCLC will be
releasing the bib records for the most popular one million books under
an odb license. He made this announcement as part of a talk about
OCLC's interest in linked data, in a lightning round of two-minute
presentations. That is literally all that he said about the release.

I and a couple of other attendees spoke with him immediately
afterwards about this:

- He does not know when this will occur.

- "Most popular" = held by the most libraries

- I asked if it was going to be an attribution license, and he did not
know. I asked if there were going to be further stipulations on top of
the license, and he did not know. In fact, he was puzzled by the
concept.

- He was not sure if they'd be releasing the entire MARC records for
the works, or just the most salient data.

I don't believe he was being cagey. I think he was honestly telling us
what he knew.

David Weinberger