[open-bibliography] Ex Libris forms expert group on open data in Alma

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Jun 22 13:56:45 UTC 2011

At least some of the members of the exLibris group  read this list. I would
urge them to make sure that the word Open was used consistently with the
OKD. There are several conditions:

* any data should be Open according to the Open Bibliographic Principles
* any NECESSARY software should be Open. (i.e there should be a reasonable
way that people can manipulate the data independently of the vendors system)
or the data should be reasonably usable without software.
* any specifications should be Open.
* any services offered to the world should meet the Open Service Definition.

I have no knowledge of the system or its purpose and it may be that it
brings new approaches to real Openness. I will be particularly concerned
with the rights of the data and the format of the data (specifcations). I
would be concerned if the format was a new properietary one and even more
concerned if there were restrictions on access to the specification and its
use outside this project.

We are currently writing up the Open Bibliography paper arising out of
JiscOpenBIB, Bibliographica etc. and are proposing a common Open format
BibJSON. This is very recent, but it would be a good time for the exLibris
group to consider an Open approach to bibliographic formats. If, of course,
that is what they have done it will be useful.

P.

--
Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics