[open-bibliography] Ex Libris forms expert group on open data in Alma

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Jun 23 14:00:55 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 3:27 PM, Karen Coyle <kcoyle at kcoyle.net> wrote:

> Actually, I know very little about it myself at this point, but I will
> provide info when I get it. My goal is to push toward openness of the data,
> and I believe that is also the goal of Ex Libris. As a company, they cannot
> do anything about "legal" openness, they can only enter into a contract with
> their users about the data they manage. Making the bibliographic data in
> their system open is undoubtedly related to a marketing advantage, but
> having a major vendor take up the question, with openness as a goal, is a
> good thing.
>
> kc

Just to be boringly clear.

They may or may not make data more easily accessible and more widely
distributed and this may be a good thing. It's the use of the term "Open
Data" that is the point. "Open" has often been used as a marketing slogan,
like "healthy" or "green". If this term is used, and if this is the goal of
the advisory group then nothing less than full Open Data (OKD-compliant)
including the format is acceptable. Adopting this stance at the beginning of
the project could be useful - aiming for something less is no value for Open
Data.

P.

--
Peter Murray-Rust