[open-bibliography] COMET

Dan Sheppard dan.sheppard at caret.cam.ac.uk
Wed Mar 2 12:05:52 UTC 2011

Dear all,

I'm involved with the CUL COMET project in a dev capacity.

We've spoken to Rufus and are examining OKFN openbiblio at the moment
for MARC import (just setting up a box right now) as well as addressing
issues like IPR-cleanness etc of our data, structuring URL space, and
tinkering with the structure of any string values to make them maximally
compatible.

We already have one migration into RDF (via SIMILE's MARC->MODES->RDF
pipeline, which was only a 10 line perl script and a couple of XSLTs
which they supplied), but think we can do better, hence the focus on
openbiblio, particularly in terms of being compatible in vocabularies
with the rest of the open library world.

The project lead is Ed Chamberlain, who's very approachable, so if
anyone's interested do drop him a line.

We hope to shamelessly adopt as much existing practice as possible.

I'm not on this list myself (your mail came to me via a circuitous
route), but I do hang out on openbilbio-dev.

Dan.