[open-bibliography] Scholarly HTML

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Mar 14 08:54:55 UTC 2011

Our hackfest at the weekend (
http://blogs.ch.cam.ac.uk/pmr/2011/03/14/scholarly-html-%E2%80%93-major-progress/)
was a deliberate and logical continuation of the "Writing" stream at
#beyondthepdf in January. Martin Fenner and Peter Sefton visited Cambridge
(PT is still here for the rest of the week). We were joined by a critical
mass of others - both IRL and virtually and made great progress. I am now
confident that we can offer the world "Scholarly HTML" (PT's phrase) as a
vibrant and significant aspect of scholarly communication. There are more
details in the blog post, but in essence:

   - ScHTML is web-democratic. Anyone anywhere can be involved. We develop
   our own rules and "conventions" as we proceed
   - The use of ScHTML has no fundamental limits - it is not restricted to
   "publishing" and could, for example, interpoerate very nicely with Wikipedia

I shall announce ScHTML tomorrow at the JISC conference in Liverpool as part
of their "Open Scholarship" session. I have 1 minute for that.

Anyone can be involved in ScHTML right now. If BtPDF has future meetings and
activities (and I hope it does) then ScHTML should be part of them.

Will it work?

That depends on YOU. Read the post.

[Currently we are using BtPDF as the mailing list - and possibly the Wiki.
We are using OKF Etherpads for collecting and refining our thoughts. We use
Bitbucket for the code/specs. Other ideas welcome]

--
Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics