[open-bibliography] Using IsItOpenData to get information about licensing policies

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Mar 8 07:49:04 UTC 2011

My take would be:

On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 11:09 PM, Jim Pitman <pitman at stat.berkeley.edu>wrote:

> Adrian Pohl <adrian.pohl at okfn.org> wrote:
>
> > Jim, you write on the etherpad[1] that you can help with arxiv.org
>
> Right. I have initiated an exchange with David Ruddy of Cornell, he
> replied:
>
> >Regarding the use of arXiv OAI metadata, here is our current statement:
> http://arxiv.org/help/oa/metadataPolicy
>
> From the site:
[Metadata may be downloaded through OAI-PMH...]

Assuming there are no hidden restrictions I take this to mean that any
amount (including all) can be downloaded (subject only to considerate
robots).  OK

> "Metadata for arXiv articles may be reused in non-commercial and commercial
> systems.

Assuming that re-use is without explicit permission and for whatever legal
purpose. OK

Links to download full-text should point back to arXiv.org."

> "should" may be unclear - I use MUST/MAY/SHOULD  in the IETF sense

It is possible to create re-usable objects without linkiing back (e.g. a
list of author names). However if the metadata is to be used in a full
bibliography sense it SHOULD identify the full-text object with an agreed
Arxiv identifier. It addition it MAY provide a navigable link to the
full-text in which case the link SHOULD point to the actual item in the
Arxiv. (Nothing else makes sense unless there are copies of the full-text
elsewhere).

I don't know what the Arxiv policy is on copying full-text but assuming it
is allowed it seems highly desirable that the metadata should point to the
Arxiv.

Does that qualify by OKFN standards?

> For me it satisfies the Open Definition. I believe that it does not qualify
for CKAN because you cannot "get all the data at once" but this is an
additional CKAN restriction, not an OKD one.

> David continued
> "What we are now exploring is whether the license the author agrees to
> would allow us to attach a CC0 license to the metadata. It's not clear, but
> if we can, we would like to do that on our end. There are some reasonably
> strong feelings that arXiv ought to be the entity that puts the CC0 license
> on the data, not others. Obviously, if we do it, then you can do what you
> wish with the metadata. We will be talking with our intellectual property
> officer about this soon. I will be in touch as soon as I get some
> clarification."

Arxiv is mainly for science. The STM publishers have agreed that
bibliographic metadata per se is uncopyrightable. Since the author is
handing over a single bibliographic entry s/he does not have copyright over
this. So I see no reason why Arxiv should not add CC0 (or PDDL) and every
reason why they should. (This excludes abstracts and full-text)

> >and Current Index of Statistics.
>
> I have initiated dicussion with IMS first about a list of about 1000
> IMS-related people profiles
> which is another dataset on 3lib and people.bibkn.org. I am aiming to get
> IMS to agree this
> is CC0 and to work with me to maintain and develop it. I do think we should
> try to address
> dataset maintenence as well as asking for CC0 dumps. When the issue of
> people profiles is resolved,
> I'll continue with discussion of CIS data.
>
> cheers
>
> --Jim
> Jim Pitman
> Director, Bibliographic Knowledge Network Project
> http://www.bibkn.org/
>
> Professor of Statistics and Mathematics
> University of California
> 367 Evans Hall # 3860