[open-bibliography] Collecting Metadata for PublicDomainWorks.net

Karen Coyle kcoyle at kcoyle.net
Tue Mar 8 19:12:41 UTC 2011

At the highest level, standard library catalog data types are (from
the documentation):

a - Language material
c - Notated music
d - Manuscript notated music
e - Cartographic material
f - Manuscript cartographic material
g - Projected medium
i - Nonmusical sound recording
j - Musical sound recording
k - Two-dimensional nonprojectable graphic
m - Computer file
o - Kit
p - Mixed materials
r - Three-dimensional artifact or naturally occurring object
t - Manuscript language material

Libraries focus on "fixed and published" items, so there are few
paintings, sculptures, etc. Most library materials are ones that are
reproduced, like books, musical recordings, sheet music, films. (And
obviously few non-print-on-paper items are in the public domain.)
Archives are more likely to have photographs than libraries are. Their
metadata, however, often does not record information about individual
items (e.g. individual photographs), but about a collection as a
whole. I don't know much about the state of museum metadata.

kc

--
Karen Coyle
kcoyle at kcoyle.net http://kcoyle.net