[open-bibliography] Using IsItOpenData to get information about licensing policies

Jim Pitman pitman at stat.Berkeley.EDU
Thu Mar 17 20:13:47 UTC 2011

Following up on a point from Peter's previous:

>> We have been crawling the commercial publishers and should have potentially 10 million records.

First a few questions for Peter, then some for the group:

For Peter:

Where/when will the results of this crawling be made available?
With what attributes/schema (especially, any subject classification?, citation data?) and what license?
What explicit permissions do you have from which publishers?
What if any basis for updating?
How will your crawl compare with http://www.journaltocs.hw.ac.uk/ ?

For the group:

Who else in the group besides Peter, myself(Jim) and Thomas is involved in medium to large scale
efforts to aggregate article metadata?
How to avoid unnecessary duplication of such efforts?
How to ensure consistency and viability of a large open store of article metadata from multiple sources?
What organization can be trusted to openly maintain such a large database? Are we thinking OKFN. If not OKFN then what?
By what business model could the database be maintained?
How should authority to write to the database be managed?

Excuse so many questions, but it seems timely to initiate some general discussion of these
issues.

--Jim

Jim Pitman
Director, Bibliographic Knowledge Network Project
http://www.bibkn.org/

Professor of Statistics and Mathematics
University of California
367 Evans Hall # 3860