[open-bibliography] Fwd: LibraryCloud university of florida

Adrian Pohl adrian.pohl at okfn.org
Mon Mar 21 13:45:32 UTC 2011

Hello,

I don't know whether this really is a "data release". What is licensed
are individual records and no full data dumps. As far as I know
Florida University library didn't provide an export of records with a
waiver (yet).

As in the past it always were catalog dumps that were licensed, this
is the first case that an open license is attached to individual
records. I think that a Public Domain Mark[1] would be more
appropriate for this use case as everything speaks for individual
bibliographic records being public domain, at least if they don't
contain abstracts. By attaching a waiver to data originally created by
Florida university library staff they implicitely state that you CAN
claim copyright on individual records.

I would like to know what is the goal of this initiative. Does anybody
on this list know more about its background? Openly licensing
individual records doesn't prevend OCLC or any other agent from
aggregating records into another catalog and copyrighting this
collection. The legal status of the whole simply doesn't derive from
the status of its parts. Thus, legally, you can claim intellectual
copyright on a collection of openly licensed material. OCLC themselves
has made clear they aren't claiming intellectual property rights on
single records.[2]

I think, it's the licensing of collections of data, of whole catalogs
that really matters. Convention shows that single records were and are
always treated as if they were public domain so we don't have to fight
for this anymore. The Principles on Open Bibliographic Data[3] take
this into account as they explicitely refer to collections. It would
be great if the University of Florida library would publish a dump of
all public domain records under CC0.

Adrian

[1] See http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/23830

[2] See 2 C. of the "WorldCat Rights and Responsibilities for the OCLC
Cooperative": "OCLC claims copyright rights in WorldCat as a
compilation, it does not claim copyright ownership of individual
records." http://www.oclc.org/worldcat/recorduse/policy/default.htm

[3] http://openbiblio.net/principles/