[open-bibliography] Openbiblio at OCLC

Karen Coyle kcoyle at kcoyle.net
Wed May 25 20:56:53 UTC 2011

Quoting MJ Ray <mjr at phonecoop.coop>:

> Damn it!  I was getting all optimistic for a few hours there!
>
> So it won't be simply ODC-BY (which I forget what that is) but
> ODC-BY+OCLC-usage-policy... which isn't really ODC-BY then.

That's what I heard Calhoun say. The slide states:

Our preliminary thoughts on Open Data Licensing
?We are considering recommending ODC-BY
?Distinguishes between the database and its contents (or portions of contents)
?[Member DATABASE NAME] would be the name of the member?s or group?s
catalog, and the member or group = the licensor
?License notice wording in accordance with instructions in ODC licenses
?Still under investigation?your input invited and welcome

I'm not totally discouraged -- there are folks at OCLC who understand
LOD and there are some interesting LD efforts there (http://dewey.info
and http://viaf.org). I really think that the LOD "tsunami" will have
an effect on OCLC, and we'll see movement in that direction. To my
mind the best approach is to continue to develop LOD and to continue
to raise awareness.

I had a call this morning with a group of open data advocates in
Italy, and they report the same issues that many are finding, which is
that the actual legal status of library data is unknown. Continuing
that conversation in all available venues is going to be a key
"consciousness raising" act; the more we understand that issue widely
in our community the more we will find an expectation of openness.
That expectation is our strongest weapon.

We also need to educate people about LD -- that linked data  is not a
database dump but is an interaction between data created by different
people possibly in different communities. I think this will ease some
of the fears that people have. I try to explain that letting people
link to you does not change your data anymore than letting people link
to your web site changes the site. It's possible that we can reconcile
business models and linking when this is better understood.

kc