[open-bibliography] Introducing Knowledge for All

Amanda Stevens astevens at k4all.ca
Mon Oct 24 20:27:29 UTC 2011

Hi folks,

I've been a lurker on the OpenBiblio list for quite a while and decided it
was finally time to introduce myself. My name is Amanda Stevens and I work
for a non-profit organization based in Canada called Knowledge for All,
which is developing an open, interdisciplinary, comprehensive, online index
of scholarly journal articles. You can think of it as an open alternative to
Google Scholar with much better search features and high quality journal
article data that can harvested and reused for any purpose under a CC-BY
license. We are currently developing a prototype of the database and search
tool which will be launched in January 2012. To learn more about the project
and where we're headed I invite you to check out our
website<http://www.k4all.ca/page/home>and read and comment on our
recently published strategic
planning documents <http://www.k4all.ca/strategic-plan>. We're also hosting
a series of events this week <http://www.k4all.ca/Open-Index-Week> for Open
Access Week, which includes a webinar on Thursday, October 28 and an
opportunity to share your own story of encountering and addressing barriers
to access to scholarly journal literature.

I was lucky enough to attend and present at OKCon this year, where I met
Peter Murray-Rust, Mark MacGillivray, Adrian Pohl, and others involved in
the Open Bibliography project and we discussed opportunities for sharing
bibliographic data and supporting each other's projects. At Knowledge for
All we are especially interested in collecting existing open sets of
scholarly journal and journal article metadata.

I'm looking forward to future collaboration and discussions with you all.

Best,
Amanda

--
Amanda Stevens