[open-bibliography] Post about openbiblio data from Finland's Vaski consortia

Karen Coyle kcoyle at kcoyle.net
Fri Oct 14 15:15:47 UTC 2011

Quoting Jim Pitman <pitman at stat.Berkeley.EDU>:

> If deliberate, where exactly is the "BY" requirement defined?

On the CC web site -- all of the licenses are defined there.

> (Who is the "creator" of this dataset, and who is licensing it: the
> finnish library or OKFN?)

There's been a short discussion on the list for the Digital Public
Library of america about the fact that there is no reliable provenance
in CC licenses. They at least need to be digitally signed. So this
"who" question is inherent in CC.

That said, the libraries that issued the datasets are the ones that
set the CC0 license, as stated in their blog post. We can contact Mace
about the BY on OKFN -- I assume it is in error.

kc