[open-bibliography] Introducing Knowledge for All

Mark MacGillivray mark at odaesa.com
Thu Oct 27 14:35:23 UTC 2011

Hi Amanda,

Nice to hear from you since meeting at OKCON.

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 3:17 PM, Amanda Stevens <astevens at k4all.ca> wrote:
> Thanks for your interest and questions, everyone.  Mark Leggott, the founder
> and a board member on the Knowledge for All project, already addressed most
> of the questions that came up, but I wanted to mention a few things.
>
> We have published our Software Requirements Specification document for the
> Knowledge for All system on our website.  It was written by a non-techie
> (me) and doesn't cover everything that was brought up in this discussion but
> it provides some further information on the data formats, software, and data
> services we are developing.  As Mark mentioned, we'll be publishing more
> information shortly on how the specs have been translated into the system
> that's under development.
>
> I'd be happy to discuss integrating the BibServer tool into the Knowledge
> for All system for reference management capabilities, as we're not planning
> to develop an alternative.  This has been on my mind since speaking with
> Mark, Adrian, and others at OKCon.

Would be happy to discuss how we can help with bibserver.

> We are only planning to host scholarly journal and journal article data at
> this point, not other types of bibliographic data such as books or
> monographs, but we intend to be comprehensive in this and eventually cover
> all published scholarly journals.  We will be able to begin hosting data
> early in the new year.

Does this mean you are thinking of providing something like an archive
where datasets can be sent to and retrieved from (presumably, given
the mention of Fedora)? If so, this would be a really useful service
to provide to the community! And if we could enhance it using stuff
like bibserver, then all the better.

Anyway, it is great that you are moving forward with this project, and
I look forward to seeing the progress!

Mark