[open-bibliography] Wikipedia project: bibliographic-archival data base

Jim Pitman pitman at stat.Berkeley.EDU
Tue Sep 13 16:20:44 UTC 2011

David Weinberger <self at evident.com> wrote:

> LibraryCloud is a metadata server gathering
> library metadata (circ data, user reviews, etc.) and making it openly
> available via APIs and Linked Open Data.

> We are on the verge of making it accessible to a limited public (API key
> required, daily queries limited to 3,152). We're interested in
> contributing what we can as we can. (No, we cannot make its catalog
> available in its entirety. We wish.)

These two paragraphs contradict each other.
Is LibraryCloud an open data provider, or not?
Either data is open, and it is possible to get hold of the entire
dataset with a clear open license for what you can so with it. Or it is not open.
It is wrong to call data open if it is subject to arbitary access restrictions like 3K entries a day.

--Jim

Jim Pitman
Director, Bibliographic Knowledge Network Project
http://www.bibkn.org/

Professor of Statistics and Mathematics
University of California
367 Evans Hall # 3860