[open-bibliography] Wikipedia project: bibliographic-archival data base

David Weinberger self at evident.com
Tue Sep 13 17:15:25 UTC 2011

Thanks for the challenge, Jim. Thanks for the petard snipping, Roy.

As I just wrote to Jim: At this point, we cannot make all our catalog
data available for bulk download. That is a limitation we all regret
but there it is.  I would argue that because the data we make
available we make available without restriction, it is reasonable to
use "open" as a modifier. It may also be worth mentioning that the
point of LibraryCloud is not and never has been to make catalog data
available. Rather, it is to gather and make accessible less-noticed
metadata from libraries; we need catalog data so that other metadata
has a referent.

We're trying to do something useful and collaborative within the
limitations under which we labor, and we hope that what we're
contributing is of some value. Whether it merits the lofty adjective
"open" is to me an interesting discussion, but not the most
interesting one.

David