[open-bibliography] Wikipedia project: bibliographic-archival data base

Karen Coyle kcoyle at kcoyle.net
Tue Sep 13 18:41:48 UTC 2011

Quoting Jim Pitman <pitman at stat.Berkeley.EDU>:

> It is wrong to call data open if it is subject to arbitary access
> restrictions like 3K entries a day.

Access restrictions of this nature generally are not related to
openness but to system load. Nearly every system that has powerful
APIs implements some limits to keep API requests from bringing down
the system. It's a common courtesy to make contact with system folks
if you are considering doing something that might put a load on their
system, like downloading large amounts of data. I've watched many
systems teams negotiate frequencies (one-second intervals) or times
(over-night) to help users get what they need without damaging the
service to others. Another option is for systems that anticipate
frequent requests for "everything" to provide dumps. I see a lot of
willingness to accommodate a variety of needs on the part of users.

kc

--
Karen Coyle
kcoyle at kcoyle.net http://kcoyle.net