[open-bibliography] Wikipedia project: bibliographic-archival data base

David Weinberger self at evident.com
Tue Sep 13 20:30:44 UTC 2011

I'm about to run for a plane, so please don't misinterpret my upcoming
silence. Quick embedded responses:

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 3:18 PM, Peter Murray-Rust <pm286 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 7:18 PM, David Weinberger <self at evident.com> wrote:
>>
>> "A piece of content or data is open if anyone is free to use, reuse,
>> and redistribute it — subject only, at most, to the requirement to
>> attribute and share-alike"
>>
>> That describes any data you can get via LibraryCloud's API.
>
> That is good news. Does it also mean "you can download as much data as you
> like under those conditions"? [subject to consideration to the server] Or
> that there is a limit?

For now, there is a limit on the number of queries per day. So, no, it
does not mean "you can download as much data as you like under those
conditions," which means LibraryCloud fails the Access requirement of
the Open Knowledge Definition.

>> I know that's not exactly what you want the stated definition to mean,
>> but it is what the definition says.
>
> I don't understand this sentence. Does it mean that I have misinterpreted
> OKD? Or that LibraryCloud API is not OKD-compliant?

Neither. LibraryCloud meets the requirement stated in the snippet you
referenced. LibraryCloud fails a different OKD criterion.

I hope it is now clear the senses in which LibraryCloud is and is not
open: I believe in
all ways except the OKD's first criterion. The LibraryCloud group would love
to be able to open it all ways, but...

Running for the plane...

David