[open-bibliography] [Open-access] Open alternative to crossref / linking to citations re-use on an open access repository?

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Apr 3 08:59:47 UTC 2012

Crossref is not only a particular technology but also a business model that
involves the publishers providing citation information. I don't know the
details but I suspect publishers use it because they get greater exposure.
An Open implementation might have this attraction for publishers but it
would be seen as a threat by publishers who aggregate and sell raw citation
material and also downstream services.

There are therefore at least two separate questions:

   - how do we get Open citation data
   - how do we build the technology to make it useful

I think the first is the hardest - I am not sure whether thisw was involved
in the original question (which used Crossref as an example)

--
Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics