[open-bibliography] Harvard puts 12M bib records into public domain (CC0)

David Weinberger self at evident.com
Wed Apr 25 17:33:06 UTC 2012

Tom,

Good questions. Be prepared for mediocre answers.

1. There isn't a forum established for this. There should at least be
a discussion page. I'll suggest that. Thanks. In the meantime, I'll
forward these questions to the small list of people who have been
working on this initiative for the past year.

2. An updates feed is a great idea. It may already be contemplated.

3. I can answer the API dump question with a little more authority
since the API access is being offered via the DPLA prototype platform
that our group is working on. So, yes, you're right. API queries to
fields within the dpla namespace sometimes return enhanced data,
especially wrt uniform title, but eventually there will be more (e.g.
clean up date formats, etc.). We should be offering that data for
download, and we'll get around to it. But there's a lot on our plate
now. In the meantime, if you need that enhanced data, we'll be happy
to make it available to you ahead of time. If there's strong demand
for these tables, that'll bump it up the todo list.

David W.