[open-bibliography] [Open-access] [open-science-dev] Fwd: [open-science] fw: Python NLTK/data mining/machine learning project of public research data, anyone interested?

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Aug 20 11:50:01 UTC 2012

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 8:21 AM, Laurent Romary <laurent.romary at inria.fr>wrote:

> Dear all,
> Catching up this thread to answer on two issues:
> 1. Metadata formats for scholarly papers: this is something we have been
> extensively been working on in the context of the EU PEER project (
> http://www.peerproject.eu/) where we mapped heterogeneous metadata coming
> from quite a wide spectrum of commercial STM publishers onto a single TEI
> (Text Encoding Initiative) based format.  The format is documented under
> http://hal.inria.fr/hal-00659856 and we did a short communication (with
> slides) about it at the 2010 TEI conference:
> http://hal.inria.fr/inria-00537302 Using the TEI (an open standards) as a
> reference brings the work on scholarly document into a wider corpus of
> encoded texts (see http://www.tei-c.org/Activities/Projects/ just to get
> a partial overview of the TEI community)

Sounds good - especially since we can use the PEER project as an effective
authority.  Mark, etc. - how does this map onto BibJSON? TEI used to be
SGML and very complex - I hope this is a subset and can be used as XML
without the need for an SGML parser.

2. We (Patrice Lopez, CCed) developed an open source library of metadata,
> but also full text extraction tools which creates a TEI based
> representation of a pdf given as input. This could be particularly
> interesting for your work I think, and an opportunity to share forces
> there.  See https://sourceforge.net/projects/grobid/

Java - great for me! I'll checkout and look later but this seems very
valuable. This is exactly what we need to interface with PubCrawler (unless
you also have a crawler). We can then  download metadata from all the
publishers - we already have scrapers for several. That gives us the
metadata framework for then managing Open bibliography and using it.

Cheers,