[open-bibliography] BibSoup/BibServer collaboration model?

Mark MacGillivray mark at cottagelabs.com
Fri Feb 3 02:04:16 UTC 2012

Sure, some person or business may incur costs whilst developing a service,
and may justifiably want to recoup that cost and turn a profit. This is
typical business practice - find a way to add value, and find customers
willing to pay for it.

But doing so by placing restrictions on subsequent reuse of some coincident
resource - in this case bibliographic metadata - is not finding that way;
rather, it is an obfuscation. Risk and effort involved in the process of
adding value are being mitigated by making simultaneous claims to ownership
of the resource around which value is being added.

of course, this is a great business plan; reduce risk and effort by owning
more things. These claims to ownership will be accepted unless they are
contested.

So the question is, should we contest such claims, or are they reasonable
claims to make?

I find it unreasonable that someone be allowed to pollute a resource during
the process of their attempting to exploit it for profit; there is no
reason why their attempts should restrict my desire to utilise said
resource.

this is doubly true in the contexts of service delivery and intellectual
property.