[open-bibliography] Basic RDF/XML to bibtex/RIS conversion?

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Feb 3 15:13:48 UTC 2012

On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 2:44 PM, Ross Mounce <ross.mounce at gmail.com> wrote:

> > the scripts I wrote that parse the BNB files and spit out the bibjson
>
> yes, I think that sounds like something that would be useful. Although
> I may have to ask the same type of question again:
>
> How to get from bibjson -> bibtex  (or RIS)
>
> It is always a problem going from an extensible semantic framework to one
with a fixed vocabulary and no namespaces. There is likely to be semantic
and content loss. For example the "RIS-like" fields in NIH-RIS do not all
map onto the fields in RIS (or if they do - e.g. "note" or "id" they lose
semantics.

People often try to "mend" this by adding more fields and clever syntax.
This is doomed to failure - it simply breaks software written to the main
standard.

And that's a primary reason why we developed BibJSON. It can hold anything
we want. In summary:

Legacy => BibJSON (no semantic loss, though possibly a need to write more
vocabulary)
BibJSON => Legacy (non-zero probability of semantic loss and content loss)

--
Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics