[open-bibliography] Basic RDF/XML to bibtex/RIS conversion?

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Feb 3 15:40:07 UTC 2012

On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 3:22 PM, Jim Pitman <pitman at stat.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> Tom Morris <tfmorris at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Google Refine's templated exporter could probably get you from BibJSON
> > to RIS pretty easily (not sure about BibTex's LaTeX encoding of
> > multinational characters).
>
> New version of BibTeX supports utf-8 encoding. I suugest limiting the
> export to that,
> and advising users how to include utf-8 support in their latex files.

I would agree with this. I don't see any reason to support other encodings
and we have all seen masses of corruption caused by systems that were badly
written in this respect. In other projects I'm in/run we limit encoding to
UTF-8

If I understand the rest it's that we shouldn't output BibTeX escaped
characters (e.g. with backslashes). Again I would agree (I have written
libraries to do this in the past and hated it). We can hope that the world
will continue to move towards universal UTF-8 support.

Holding 2 different representations means that there are continual calls to
normalize(), etc.

If people absolutely require classical BibTeX characters are there services
or programs that will do the conversion?

> --Jim

Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics
Unilever Centre, Dep. Of Chemistry