[open-bibliography] BibSoup/BibServer collaboration model?

Naomi Lillie naomi.lillie at okfn.org
Wed Feb 8 09:45:02 UTC 2012

Thanks all for your useful comments - I have amended
http://wiki.okfn.org/Projects/jiscopenbib2 to link to the existing
wikipedia page as highlighted by Jim and Tom
.

On 7 February 2012 20:48, Tom Morris <tfmorris at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 11:32 AM, Naomi Lillie <naomi.lillie at okfn.org>
> wrote:
>
> > Following on from the below, please see here for a forum for comparisons:
> > http://wiki.okfn.org/Projects/jiscopenbib2/managementtools
>
> Thanks for putting that together Naomi.  After I sent my original
> query I discovered that Wikipedia has a comparison of 28 different
> existing solutions in the space I was thinking of:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_reference_management_software
> (Just noticed that Jim pointed out the same thing while this was
> sitting half composed)
>
> Mark's statement that BibServer is focused on web publishing and
> faceted search of bibliographies clarified things for me a lot.  As I
> understand it now, there's really no overlap at all with Zotera or
> Mendeley or other bib management solutions.  BibServer fits at the
> very last stage in the life cycle when it's time to publish (on the
> web rather than view LaTex or Word).  Instead comparisons would be to
> things like Drupal Scholar http://drupal.org/project/biblio or other
> web publishing platforms.
>
> As an aside, I'm not sure if proselytizing BibJson or tracking it's
> adoption is a goal, but that same Wikipedia page includes listings of
> format support for BibTeX, RIS, etc by the various software packages.
> That could probably be extended pretty easily to track BibJson.
>
> Tom

Naomi Lillie
Foundation Administrator and Community Coordinator (Open Bibliography)
Open Knowledge Foundation
http://okfn.org/
Skype: n.lillie