[open-bibliography] Fwd: FAST (Faceted Application of Subject Terminology)—Dataset

Jim Pitman pitman at stat.Berkeley.EDU
Thu Feb 16 16:47:58 UTC 2012

Peter Murray-Rust <pm286 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> > Just checking - these are under ODCBy so are OKD-compliant?

Apparently, from http://www.oclc.org/research/news/2012-02-15.htm

"The bulk downloadable versions of FAST are offered at no charge. Like FAST content available through the FAST Experimental Linked Data Service, the downloadable versions of FAST are made available under the Open Data Commons Attribution (ODC-By) license."

Etienne, do you think you could do a parse to map these to some form of JSON/BibJSON and post e.g. to CKAN?

That exercise would push some issues of how BibJSON should embed subject headings.
Other obvious headings datasets to provide BibJSON parsers for are MESH and MSC2010. I've done some previous
work on MSC2010 and will be glad to keep pushing that along.
We should try to develop some systematic way to make subject ontologies available to BibJSON users, and especially
aim to have these ontologies seamlessly available to BibJSON dataset creators in whatever editing interfaces we are able to
provide.

Best outcome for us is if OCLC would host JSON as an alternate export format for FAST with a link to BibJSON which
would raise the visibility of our BibJSON efforts. I dont think current BibJSON is rigorous enough for that level of exposure
yet. But with some attention to version control and validation as per previous discussions on the dev list, we are nearly there.

Anyone with connections to OCLC willing to play a diplomatic role in encouraging OCLC to provide JSON export for FAST?

--Jim
Jim Pitman
Professor of Statistics and Mathematics
University of California