[open-bibliography] Fwd: FAST (Faceted Application of Subject Terminology)—Dataset

Etienne Posthumus eposthumus at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 17:25:55 UTC 2012

On 16 February 2012 17:47, Jim Pitman <pitman at stat.berkeley.edu> wrote:
> Etienne, do you think you could do a parse to map these to some form of JSON/BibJSON and post e.g. to CKAN?

Yes we could, but do we want to? I do not see the immediate value of
converting a dump like this to JSON.
The FAST data is already available as a resource with URIs that can be
queried or linked to from a running BibServer.
Why do we need to convert in bulk if we can link to a resource that is
maintained?

 For example, (just pulling a random item from the air here) if we
want to link this:
  http://bnb.bibsoup.net/bibsoup/bnb/GB7409399
we could programmitcally connect it to:
  http://experimental.worldcat.org/fast/813004/
and see where it leads from there.

And the same goes for any other subject heading datasets. (many of
which do not have well-maintained, or linkable, or crippled online
versions, so there I can see the value of doing conversions)