[open-bibliography] OCLC's license for FAST

Karen Coyle kcoyle at kcoyle.net
Wed Jan 4 23:25:51 UTC 2012

Quoting Tom Morris <tfmorris at gmail.com>:

> I think the decomposed structure is more user-friendly and useful, but
> scraping the OCLC site strikes me as an unnecessary level of
> indirection.  You're still at the mercy of OCLC's proprietary
> processing script and hosting.  If they decide to pull the plug,
> you're left out in the cold.

Here's the link to the FAST converter. It's not quite as simple as
just breaking apart the headings at the dash-dash points:

http://www.oclc.org/research/activities/fastconverter/default.htm

The advantage of using the OCLC version is that it will be kept up to
date. I don't know what the converter, run periodically, would result
in, but perhaps someone can reason that out from the code?

kc