[open-bibliography] getting a personal bib library out

Jim Pitman pitman at stat.Berkeley.EDU
Wed Jan 18 20:18:36 UTC 2012

Etienne Posthumus <etienne.posthumus at okfn.org> wrote:

> The direct link to the raw bibtext data on Github is:
> https://raw.github.com/langner/library/master/library.small.bib
> (Find it by clicking on the 'Raw' button on the top right-hand corner
> of the link that Karol sent)
Great, thanks for pointer!
Then here is the dataset on my Berkeley BibServer

http://bibserver.berkeley.edu/cgi-bin/bibs7?https://raw.github.com/langner/library/master/library.small.bib

and here it is on the BibSoup BibServer

http://bibsoup.net/pitman/karol_m_langer_s_bibliography

It is a deficiency of the present BibSoup BibServer compared to the legacy BibServer that there
is no obvious way to query BibSoup to see if it already has a copy of
https://raw.github.com/langner/library/master/library.small.bib
and if not to ingest one.
e.g. searching BibSoup for the source url returns nothing.
Mark, can you see how to remedy this?
It may be as simple as putting the source url in the right search field, I just dont see how.

It is a serious problem for any user who wishes to programmatically upload many bibliographies to
BibSoup that there is no obvious way to retrieve them after programmatic upload without user
retaining a dictionary to e.g. map
https://raw.github.com/langner/library/master/library.small.bib to karol_m_langer_s_bibliography

I was all set to start systematically loading Google Scholar Profiles like http://scholar.google.com/citations?user=cH0pbIwAAAAJ&hl=en into BibSoup, and then realized that I could only do it one by one,
and that I was obliged to keep track of the arbitrary name that BibSoup assigned to the collection.
I  want to call the bib e.g. cH0pbIwAAAAJ as well as assign it a human readable label and description.
And I want to be sure that if a user queries BibSoup with this google id or the google url they
will find it.
Please add the above to BibSoup feature requests.

many thanks

--Jim
Jim Pitman
Professor of Statistics and Mathematics