[open-bibliography] getting a personal bib library out

Tom Morris tfmorris at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 18:40:33 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 12:19 PM, Thad Guidry <thadguidry at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Thad, that's great. Are you able to
>> 1) provide a wrapper around Google Refine to make it both import and
>> export BibJSON?
>> 2) provide users with a way to access Google Refine via the web so that it
>> does this?
>> That would be major progress I think.
>> We might also approach Google Refine developers and ask them to
>> incorporate the wrapper in their product.
>>

> I don't have enough of the Java skills to provide #1, but Tom Morris does if
> you recall our Skype conf. call, and you just need to throw a bit of money
> at him to have him code this in. He's already done the Importer/Exporter for
> Google Spreadsheets :)

Importers and exporters for Bibtex, RIS, BibJSON are all
straightforward and my offer to do the work remains on the table.
Thad and I had a conference call with Mark and Peter to discuss this,
but I'm not wedded to the idea of it having to be an
OKFN/open-bibliography project.  If anyone else has a need for, for
instance, a Bibtex importer, I've already done the legwork to vet
candidate code bases and scope out the work.

I think my proposed cleanup workflow would be different than Peter's
but I'll start a separate thread about collaboration and bibliographic
data.

Tom