[open-bibliography] OCLC adds Linked Data to WorldCat.org | DDC 23 released as linked data at dewey.info

Karen Coyle kcoyle at kcoyle.net
Sun Jun 24 14:01:56 UTC 2012

Peter, I assume that the "technical difficulty" is the size of the
database -- something on the order of 180 million bibliographic records.
... Ah, no, I just looked it up in their annual report:
235,822,950 records, of which 189,421,960 are for books. And that's from
a year ago.

It would be very interesting to be able to slice-n-dice that database,
which, perhaps except for the secret database that Google holds, is the
largest bibliographic database in the world. For example, their records
for some less-populous languages may constitute a more complete
bibliography of the writings of that culture than even the relevant
national library has.

I plan to write to some of the OCLC folks and ask if they will be
setting up the needed index to encourage the re-spidering of this data
by the major search engines. If so, I wonder if those search engines
then can become an entry point to the data. I also have not seen mention
of a SPARQL end point for searching the database, but I probably haven't
encountered all of the technical information.

kc