[open-bibliography] OCLC adds Linked Data to WorldCat.org | DDC 23 released as linked data at dewey.info

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Jun 25 18:21:39 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 3:22 PM, Karen Coyle <kcoyle at kcoyle.net> wrote:

> This discussion is going forward on the presumption that OCLC will allow
> significantly large downloads to the general public. I may have missed some
> announcement, but I am not sure that is the case. Before speculating
> further it might be good to clarify that point.

My point is simple:

* if someone says that their data is made available under an Open Database
licence the absolute implication is that - barring technical aspects - all
the data can be accessed. If this is not the case they have to say: "the
following subset is made available as Open Data".

> To reiterate, this most recent announcement relates to the addition of
> data to WorldCat displays for search engine optimization. My understanding
> is that OCLC is open to search engines, and they do provide a sitemap:

Open to search engines but not open to you and me is NOT OPEN.

> http://www.worldcat.org/**libraries/sitemap_index.xml<http://www.worldcat.org/libraries/sitemap_index.xml>
>
> Beyond that it's greek to me, but perhaps someone on this list can figure
> out what is and isn't possible.

I see many cases of the word "Open" that includes untenable restrictions.
Maybe I am prejudging here - but I am outlining what I think are absolutes.

--
Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics