[open-bibliography] Orphan data

Mark MacGillivray mark at odaesa.com
Fri Mar 2 16:27:22 UTC 2012

On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 3:56 PM, Karen Coyle <kcoyle at kcoyle.net> wrote:
> Yes, this is a great idea. Provide a place (dataLeaks? :-)) where people can
> place data that they consider to be open but for various reasons (mainly the
> fact of being a for-profit in a world of greed) they prefer that the
> "liability" be placed elsewhere.
>
> Of course, one possibility is using the Internet Archive in this way. As
> Owen mentioned, they have simply placed many millions of metadata records in
> the archive with no restrictions on retrieving them. But I prefer an
> explicit "data warehouse" and in particular an explicit "bibliographic data
> warehouse." I will talk to the parties and see if we can't at least get a
> dump for the data hub (duh! I should have thought of that). Then we need to
> invent the "no known restrictions" declaration (and logo).

If we provide such a space / concept / logo, then we at the same time
promote the idea that things found say just on the internet with no
claims attached to them are not freely available. Promoting such a
default stance would do nothing except promote the interests of people
who want to own everything. As long as people are indoctrinated into
thinking they are not allowed to do what they want, then they will not
be allowed to do what they want.