[open-bibliography] Orphan data

Tom Morris tfmorris at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 22:02:27 UTC 2012

On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 10:57 AM, Karen Coyle <kcoyle at kcoyle.net> wrote:

> On 3/2/12 6:30 AM, Thad Guidry wrote:
>>
>> But once it is in the public domain it's in that status forever I am
>> told... it cannot be revoked, correct ?
>

> Unfortunately, US courts have revoked PD, and it was taken to higher courts
> and upheld.

This registry is for content, not metadata, but it presumably could be
extended to bibliographic data or something similar could be
established for it.

http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/nesson/digital-registry/

Some of the things which distinguish it in my mind are a) a set of
standards and practices for curation and b) legal support to defend
users.

Tom