[open-bibliography] Bibliographical data for the world's lesser known languages

Sebastian Nordhoff sebastian_nordhoff at eva.mpg.de
Sat Mar 3 11:44:15 UTC 2012

On Fri, 02 Mar 2012 22:49:00 +0100, Mark MacGillivray <mark at odaesa.com>
wrote:

> HI Sebastian, thanks a lot for sharing this, it is a great collection
> you have built.
>
> On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 5:22 PM, Sebastian Nordhoff
> <sebastian_nordhoff at eva.mpg.de> wrote:
>> Data are available under CC-BY-NC due to some issues upstream.
>
> What sort of data are you holding?

180k bibliographical records
94k 'languoid' records

> If you are interested in justifying
> a wider licence, then have a look at our open bibliographic principles
> at http://openbiblio.net/principles.

I would personally release data as CC-0, but getting the bib data in the
first place was delicate. For instance, Australian data from
http://ozbib.aiatsis.gov.au/ have the following disclaimer

>>> It is a condition of use of this database that users ensure that any
>>> disclosure ofthe information contained in this database is consistent
>>> with the views andsensitivities of relevant Aboriginal and Torres
>>> Strait Islander people.Users of this database should be aware that, in
>>> some Aboriginal and Torres Strait
>>> Islander communities, hearing and seeing of names of deceased persons
>>> may causesadness or distress and in some cases offend against strongly
>>> held cultural prohibitions.

At this point in time, there is no way that AIATSIS will ever agree to
CC-0, or anything that meets the Open Definition.

>> I am hoping to receive feedback about best practices for the further
>> development of this resource
>
> What sorts of further development are you wanting to do? If you are
> looking for a new tool to maintain your collection, and are interested
> in providing JSON output, then the bibserver software may be of
> interest to you - http://bibserver.org and
> http://github.com/okfn/bibserver. Also our bibjson format is detailed
> at http://bibjson.org (you can add licence details to each record if
> you desire - http://bibjson.org/#license).

I can probably provide BibJSON output within a reasonable time frame.
Would you want this on a per-record basis, or would you want one huge
BibJSON file? Would this go via conneg, or would you want
http://../../xyz.json in the URL?

I will probably not run a bibserver instance myself, but I can give my
data to people who do have a bibserver running.

Note that the data are heterogeneous,  messy and not normalized, so there
will be lots of errors.

Furthermore, we have a persistence problem as our department will close in
2015. I would want the data to be shared and copied before that.

Best
Sebastian