[open-bibliography] [ol-discuss] Multivolume works

John Mark Ockerbloom ockerblo at pobox.upenn.edu
Fri May 4 12:02:42 UTC 2012

Volume collation can be done; HathiTrust does a fairly decent job
of it for the volumes they collect.  (They don't always have complete
sets, and they could do a better job at intelligently ordering
serial volumes, but they do the best job of any of the big US collections.)
Gallica also does some collation, though I haven't used their site enough
to know how good it is compared to HT.

HT's metadata is open; I think Gallica's might be too, but I haven't checked.

There may be some useful automated analysis one can do here, such as
looking for the number of reported volumes in bibliographic records, and
page counts for volumes when available, to make a good guess about
whether a particular scan is one volume of a set or a combined scan.
(While most mass-scanning projects do go volume by volume, some have
combined volumes, either due to multiple volumes being bound together
before scanning, or multiple volume scans being combined after the fact.)

John