[open-bibliography] [Open-access] [open-science-dev] Fwd: [open-science] fw: Python NLTK/data mining/machine learning project of public research data, anyone interested?

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Sep 25 20:01:06 UTC 2012

On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 8:20 PM, Nathan Rice <
nathan.alexander.rice at gmail.com> wrote:

> > He has already done so, which brought up some issues I am resolving as
> part
> > of a re-design anyway. Should be done next week.
>
> Just to pop in,
>
> The best practice I ever picked up (besides unit testing) from working
> with software engineers was to create really concrete user stories,

We have a concrete user story here, although it has been created by the
hackathon attendees on the basis that they understand users!

But in this area we are generally building to meet anticipated demand
rather than reacting to existing demand.

> and focus on stripping the story down to its core elements.  This has
> saved me from major architectural backtracking a few times, as I have
> a natural tendency towards over-engineering.
>

> Nathan

Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics
Unilever Centre, Dep. Of Chemistry