[open-bibliography] More needed to define "open"

Adrian Pohl adrian.pohl at okfn.org
Tue Apr 23 17:02:49 UTC 2013

Hello,

when we worked on the "Recommendations on Releasing Library Data as
Open Data" (German original "Empfehlungen zur Öffnung
bibliothekarischer Daten" published in October 2011 [0]) we also saw
the need to stress that openness isn't solely defined by open
licensing. Thus, these recommendations name as key elements for open
data: open access, open standards and open licenses. Also, another six
non-obligatory elements are defined (Documentation, Raw Data,
Timeliness, Structure, Non-discriminating, Sustainability). See [1]
for a draft of an English translation.

Regarding updates, the recommendations only speak of "Timeliness"
(following the Ten Principles for Opening Up Government Information
[2]) . How timeliness should be implemented concretely isn't said but
- as Karen already pointed out - that largely depends on the kind of
data that is opened up. The recommendations accknowledge this by
saying: "The data should be published in a reasonable time after its
creation. What is reasonable may vary regarding the kind of data."

Maybe that helps for your needs,Karen.

All the best
Adrian

[0] http://is.gd/openbibdata