[open-bibliography] Fwd: Re: [dpla-discussion] DPLA Board of Directors call: Thursday, February 14, 1:00 PM EST

Tom Morris tfmorris at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 14:16:29 UTC 2013

On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 8:16 AM, Jonathan Gray <jonathan.gray at okfn.org>wrote:

> Thanks Karen. Great it sounds like they are adopting a policy which
> include CC0. Does anyone know (or can anyone work out) whether CC0 will be
> a requirement for all metadata in DPLA?

I'm not a DPLA insider, but my reading is that all contributing
institutions will be required to contribute anything copyrightable under a
CC0 license.

> Two bits that I find quite bizarre:
>
>   * "Gore pointed out that in her experience working with prospective
> data-providers, most cultural heritage institutions are comfortable with
> the idea that the vast majority of metadata is not copyrightable" ->
> Presumably talking mainly about US GLAM institutions. Is this true? And
> does 'not copyrightable' equate to 'happy to release in bulk under CC0'?
>   * "Courant said that he thinks CC0 is still too restrictive of a
> license, which is why he likes
> using it as a ‘backstop’, which the policy does." -> Not sure what 'too
> restrictive' means in this context? Too open? Too strong? To legally
> specific? Anyone know?

I think what they're going for here is that no license should be necessary
at all because the metadata can't be copyrighted.  I suspect they want that
to be their primary position, but are including CC0 as a
fallback/fail-safe.  It's a bit of a nuanced position and I could be
misreading it, but that's my interpretation.

Tom