[open-bibliography] Inviting community engagement on building a bibliographic roadmap

Karen Coyle kcoyle at kcoyle.net
Wed Jan 16 16:30:40 UTC 2013

No, I'm talking about their "new bibliographic framework" initiative --
they are working on a "replacement for MARC". MARC was a
library-specific format initially to be used to print cards, and wasn't
intended to interact with non-library data. The new format is being done
with at least some consciousness that we are in an environment where we
might need to share data with other communities. Unfortunately, there
seems to be no investigation of what those other communities have, want,
or need. Bibliographic data is some of the most widely used data so it
just makes sense that we'd want it to flow nicely between use cases.

I actually think that we do have a "business case" for free bib data, if
not more than one. Publishers definitely do, since the data that they
provide for free advertises their product. Libraries do because they
share bib data, thus saving themselves a great deal of repetitive
effort. An in essence, everyone who provides citations or a bibliography
with their work is giving the world free bib data. We just haven't yet
done a good job of capturing all of this data together in a useful way.

kc

--
Karen Coyle
kcoyle at kcoyle.net http://kcoyle.net