[open-bibliography] Inviting community engagement on building a bibliographic roadmap

Karen Coyle kcoyle at kcoyle.net
Sat Jan 19 20:43:53 UTC 2013

Right, the folks giving away their metadata (because it helps sales) are
generally the book publishers. Journal publication has an entirely
different economic model because it' isn't a one-time sale but a
subscription, and I haven't found a publisher-provided metadata for
journal publications (which would cover the publication, not its
contents). If journal publishers would get away from the serial view and
publish and sell articles as monographs, we might see a major change in
their view of metadata. In fact, the whole journal format is beginning
to look old-fashioned to me as a product category.

I don't know yet about music publishers -- I don't think they yet have a
standard metadata format.

kc.

--
Karen Coyle